If you’re not quite ready to get your spring cleaning started in earnest, here are a few things you can do around your home right now:
- Clean the kitchen exhaust hood and filter.
- Replace the furnace filter. It may be especially filthy after the winter months.
- Inspect the roof for water damage. It’s also a good idea to check any fences, carports, and sheds. Tip: Check the south end of your roof first; it is the first to show wear.
- Test the batteries in all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Clear the gutters of any buildup to allow for proper functioning.
- Be sure no inside or outside air vents are blocked by fallen debris.
- Clean the windows and screens. Repair any holes in screens and replace if needed.
- Inspect siding and exterior paint. Fix or replace damaged siding. Strip peeling paint and replace it with a new coat.
- Check the basement for water damage. Pay attention to musty smells, water stains, and damp surfaces.