Closures required for Seafair Air Show practices, performances
The summer tradition of Seafair, complete with the U.S. Navy Blue Angels roaring overhead means people who use the Interstate 90 floating bridge between Seattle and Mercer Island should plan ahead to avoid intermittent daytime closures next week.
The Washington State Department of Transportation will close the bridge to all traffic during flights of the Blue Angels for both their practice run and scheduled air shows beginning Thursday, Aug. 2 through Sunday, Aug. 5.
The closures are required by the Federal Aviation Administration and are for the safety of the traveling public.
Those traveling between Seattle and Mercer Island will need to make their way across Lake Washington at least one hour before the closures or use an alternate route, such as I-405, State Route 520 or SR 522. Some I-90 and I-5 ramps will close up to 90 minutes before flight times, and other I-90 ramps will close up to 30 minutes beforehand.
I-90 floating bridge closures
- Thursday, Aug. 2: 9:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. and 1 to 2:45 p.m. (practice)
- Friday, Aug. 3: 12:55 to 2:45 p.m. (Seafair Air Show)
- Saturday, Aug. 4: 12:55 to 2:45 p.m. (Seafair Air Show)
- Sunday, Aug. 5: 12:55 to 2:45 p.m. (Seafair Air Show)
- West Mercer Way to westbound I-90 (up to 90 minutes prior)
- East Mercer Way to westbound I-90 (up to 60 minutes prior)
- Island Crest Way to westbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- 76th Avenue Southeast to westbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- Eastbound I-90 to West Mercer Way (up to 30 minutes prior)
- Northbound I-5 to eastbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- Southbound I-5 to eastbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- Northbound Rainier Avenue South to eastbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- Southbound Rainier Avenue South to eastbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
SR 520 open during I-90 closures
During the I-90 closures, the SR 520 floating bridge will remain open to traffic and tolls will be collected according to the rate schedule. Infrequent users of the SR 520 bridge may want to consider setting up a short-term Good To Go! account for Seafair weekend.
Trip planning tools
Puget Sound area drivers can get real-time traffic information on their phone with the WSDOT traffic app, by tracking the WSDOT traffic Twitter feed or by visiting the Seattle Area Construction page.